Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mindjet MindManager

For those of you who haven't tried it, I cannot recommend MindManager strongly enough. Mind mapping with this program is easy, intuitive, and incredibly useful for brainstorming. I received my first license as a participant in a LexThink event in Chicago back in 2006, and I've used it ever since. There are various add-ins that extend the functionality of mind mapping that are worth serious consideration.

I have used and can recommend Gyronix's ResultsManager, another MindManager add-in that implements David Allen's GTD methodology. Although I don't use this program as my GTD "trusted system," I can appreciate how it works, and in particular the benefits it would bring to working groups all using the same system. In my case, I'm the only attorney in my shop who uses it, so it's much less valuable.

I recently downloaded a 21-day trial of an add-on called ThinkingWorks, which applies a structured approach to problem solving. While it looked promising, I had trouble with the initial download and installation. I was able to install it on my laptop, and tried the PriorityWise tool. (Days later, the add-in mysteriously disappeared from MindManager on my laptop, after a confusing boot sequence that I originally attributed to leaving my laptop out in a very cold car overnight.)

For attorneys, the benefits of mind mapping could be extraordinary. From using mind maps to document processes, to structuring logical arguments, to aligning evidence with issues, the applications are abundant. Check it out and let me know if you have any killer uses for this wonderful software to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi JPS,

My name is Gaelen O'Connell and I work for Mindjet in Customer Advocacy & PR. I just came across your post about MindManager and would like to speak with you more about it offline. Please feel free to contact me at: gaelen.oconnell@mindjet.com. We're glad you're enjoying the product and have some potential partnership opportunities you may be interested in.

Best,
Gaelen O'Connell
Customer Advocacy & PR Manager